25.2.09

Goodbye To The Summer

That title is a line from a Chumbawamba song. Say what you will about the band (and plenty have), I respect it and its message.

I've always been a Fall kind of guy myself. I like the idea of everything dying.

There are a lot of things swirling around in my head these days. Most of them good. I've gone into a bit of an exile because I need to clear my head. The tough decision I need to come to terms with may have been made for me (not that I agree with that yet and not sure I ever will). It's not that I'm afraid of change (especially when change is good). I'm afraid of fallout.

And then I realized I shouldn't be.

Every decision has actions that are foreseen and unforeseen. What is absolutely certain, however, is not acting can have some very hard ramifications that may never be overcome. When I was told of what the decision should be, the logical side said it was right. The emotional side got scared. I felt like I was falling asleep at the wheel, but the vehicle was on autopilot and in very safe hands.

Somewhere down the road things will be very different, very good. I think the writing is on the wall, and I can't wash it off because it speaks truth like a Dada slogan. I know what people will think, as many have already spoken. I know what will be said, because it is already being said. But here's the facts: You don't know shit about the reality of the situation at hand.

That's it. People speaking about what they think they know is far different than speaking of what they know. I appreciate the help, but I don't appreciate having my words shoveled into the dustbin of history.

The cards have spoken. What is right is right. What is inevitable is inevitable, and it is all very, very good. I don't expect the world to understand or agree. I don't care, though.

There is a reason for the exile. Now there is a reason for the return.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I've always liked the fall. The bees die. Bees freak me out. I like when they're gone. In fact, all the bugs either die or go away, and that is nice. I like when the leaves change colors. Green is pretty, but boring after a few months. I also like that it means all my favorite holidays are coming.

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

Let's not forget that Peruvians also seem to expire en masse during the Fall. Don't know why, but that's always made me a bit happier to be American.

God, those Peruvians are so unlucky.

Unknown said...

Am I one of the people who is shoveling your words into the dustpin of history?
:/

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

No. You are not.