7.3.10

Go Ask Alice

I took my daughter to see Alice in Wonderland.  She wanted to see it in 3D, though after reading that it was shot in 2D it made me wonder if that was such a good idea.  It didn't matter, though.  It was sold out.  All the shows were sold out.

So we made our way back to my car with me promising I'd take her next weekend.  I had suspected this could possibly happen, and seeing the packed lot at the Broadway Theater hammered that home. 

As I situated myself I caught the image of a woman in my sideview mirror.  She was walking toward my car, but she didn't have keys in her hands.  The look on her face was odd, to say the least.

I'm good at reading people.  She may have thought she could be a threat to me, but I knew differently.  The expression on her face said that she was going to make me a mark.  When she got next to the car, she saw my daughter in the back seat and her expression changed.  She was now smiling.  She stood by my driver's side door.  I glanced at her.  She smiled and started to say something.  I started the car.  Fuck this.  I don't a point of talking to people who come up to my car. 

Of course, she didn't get the hint.  She moved closer so that I couldn't back out without running her over.  I had my daughter in the car and there were people in the lot, so I couldn't do that.

I cracked my window.  "What?"  I did not sound pleasant.

"Do you smoke cigarettes?" she asked.

No.  I smoke people like you.  Annoying people.  Two-bit thieves looking for whatever you can grab.

"No.  Why would I do that?"

She nodded and walked off.

I backed up and watched her.  She started going to random cars and trying the doors. 

"What is she doing?" my daughter asked.

"Looking to break into cars."

I forgot my cell phone.  I had to move because cars were trying to get into my spot, so we drove through the lot.

I looked for her.  I was going to say something to her, but she disappeared.  She had seen me watching her.  It was smart.

I've had my car broken into.  It's frustrating to say the least.  I wanted to run her out of there before anyone had to feel that frustration.  It wasn't to be, though.  She spotted me and left.

"Was she trying to steal cigarettes?" my daughter asked.

"I doubt it.  Most people will give you one if they have one.  I think she was just looking for stuff to steal."

At least I read that one right.   

No comments: