19.4.20

Day 31: Under Martial Law Lite (Tubthumping)

Humboldt has been under a shelter in place order for over a month now. 31 days. California just one day shorter. What has Humboldt learned?

"I'm smiling, but the 'rona is going to kill you."
Or Health Officer, Dr. Frankovich, who is very new to the job, seems to think this is going to get worse than the dire predictions she has always had. Most people think she doesn't know what she is doing. I would tend to say she's covering her ass and is an alarmist. I'm sure you'd be the same way.

We learned our sheriff, William Honsal, who is a nice guy and a TV star, doesn't like prisoners being released, would rather see people educated about the shelter in place order over being fined, and may also be in over his head. Lots of people tend to think he should be arresting anyone out on the street . . . except them.

We learned that if you howl at eight p.m., you are somehow bonding with others and will defeat Covid-19 with a little noise.

Masks don't work. Wait!  Masks do work.Wait!  Masks are optional  . . . for now.

Bookstores aren't essential (they provide knowledge and entertainment - verboten). Pot stores are totally essential.

There is an awkwardly large number of Humboldt residents who believe the coronavirus is either a hoax, or is an experiment in social control by nearly all the governments in America. There is an almost equal number of people who believe that merely stepping outside during the pandemic will be an instant death sentence. None of these people can be swayed by logic, and it is foolish to try.

Humboldt has also learned that our restaurant owners are some of the most grateful people in the county. I've gone to several of their establishments during this shelter in place order (ain't dead yet), and every single one of the workers there has been so thankful.

What has struck me the most is that I've had my thoughts on government and those in positions of authority confirmed. Government will exploit any crisis it can as a way to enforce its mandates. There are plenty of people who want to help in government, but they are often in over their heads. And those in charge usually shouldn't be in charge because they aren't up to the job. I've learned that while I'm an introvert, I don't like having isolation forced upon me. I've learned I won't howl at eight, and I won't pray. I've learned that I'm not the only one of my friends who feels like he is losing his mind. I've learned some truly disappointing things about my job. I'm learning a hell of a lot about Amazon (I'm reading a book on it). But what I've mostly learned is that people don't have a fight in them. Instead of demanding accountability from the government, they demand to be able to go to church. Instead of calling for the president's head, they demand that their governors let them congregate in groups so they can die.

I'm ready to fight back. Fight back against it all. In any way I can. In every way I can. Against the government. Against the fools who think it's all a hoax. Against those who think it's an instant death sentence. At some point, logic, common sense, freedom, and decency has to win the day. If not, it won't be a virus that kills us. It will be stupidity and cowardice. That's suicide.

What have you learned? What will you do?

No comments: