3.4.20

Day 15: California Under Martial Law Lite (Long Way Back From Hell)

In a bit of surprising news, Humboldt's number who have tested positive for Covid-19 is nearing 40. Two are hospitalized. For the naysayers, at least the ones who believe this is even real, this is proof that the coronavirus is "no big deal." For the naysayers who don't even believe this is happening, the two that are in the hospital are "crisis actors."

If you fall into that latter group, I have a flat Earth to sell you.

As of yesterday I have been back to work for two measly days. Two. Today marks my third day back. People are stressed. It's in their words, their faces, and their actions. Some are visibly at their breaking point. I'm feeling it, too, but in a different way. My girlfriend pointed out the problems with being an "essential" worker, but not getting any kind of hazard pay, which was an excellent point, especially when she pointed out that those workers who are laid off get the safety of home plus making more money than previously. I tried to counter the argument, but ultimately, right or wrong, there is nothing we can do about that now. Once this blows over, and if we survive, hazard pay can be addressed for when this happens again.

Humboldt did a shelter in place order far earlier than other places, and I'm hoping that will have helped the situation somewhat. Other states are just doing it now because their governor claims not to have known has easy it was to catch the virus. People in that state should hang him from a streetlight when this is all done. He needs to go. That kind of stupidity gets other people killed.

We've been under this shelter in place order now just a bit longer than the virus incubation period. This is when shit will either start to hit the fan, or maybe, just maybe, start to ramp down. I'm hoping for the latter. I fear the former. And I wonder how much longer my co-workers and I will be able to hold up in this mess . . .

No comments: