13.1.10

Eureka Earthquake: Holy Fucking Shit!!! Part 4

It's been four days since the quake hit Eureka, California. Buildings are still closed. Damage estimates rollecoaster (the most I've heard is $28 million, but has since gone down). People are still rattled, as is to be expected. A huge quake hit Haiti yesterday, and the citizens there are in far worse shape than us potheads.

Every day the chance of a big aftershock diminishes. We have disappeared from the news. All of this is, I think, good. It lets people get back to normal. Clean up both physically and mentally. I just found a piece of a plastic Star Wars bust that I thought was lost in the quake. I imagine as I open cabinets in the garage I'll find more damages. It's okay, though. It feels like the worst is over ... for now.

Quakes are just a part of Northern California. One day we will split down the middle and the Earth will suck us in or release demonic creatures that will peel the skin from our bones. Either way, I don't want to go through that shit again. 6.5 was bad enough. Any bigger and I don't know what I'll do. I joke with people at work that if the lights go out that they have about ten minutes before I revert to cannibalism (as if I were there in the first place).

Okay, I gotta run to my job and hope for the best. Like the quake, sometimes it's just a rough riding day.

No comments: