16.5.09

Hey, Asshole!

Humboldt State University students graduate this weekend. That means their idiotic parents are clogging restaurants and wandering aimlessly on the roadways. It's been driving me up a fucking wall. I know the area can use the tourist dollars, and God knows our businesses worship these wayward souls. Business owners are practically on their knees, mouths open, ready to service in hopes they get that extra twenty bucks. I don't blame them. These are tough times. I just wish these idiots drove better.

I am not a huge fan of tourists. In fact, one of my first published pieces in a school paper (it may have been the first) was called "Tourist or Terrorists?" and it dealt with tourists in the Poconos.

I don't know what it is about people visiting a "foreign" land, but they really seem to enjoy treating it like an industrial dump. It's like their in the middle of some drive-through wilderness exhibit, and it doesn't matter if they crap it up around them.

So, parents of grads, when you're in our little county enjoying the fact that your son or daughter has graduated with a degree and no job to support them, remember there are other people around you. People who live here. People who have things to do. People who have lives outside of restaurants and niche stores.

Please be kind and treat this area like your home. Better yet, treat it better ... and watch where the fuck you are going.

2 comments:

DRJ said...

yeah...went out last night...big mistake. stayin in today. tomorrow should be safe.

-Doug Brunell (America's Favorite Son) said...

What happened? I'm glad I passed. I don't feel well today.