29.8.08

The Race to (Mis)Lead

If you've been paying attention, you know the race for the next president of the United States is in full swing. Of all the candidates who threw their hats into the ring, the mass media only pays any attention to two of them now. You know their names. I don't need to rehash.

Some people claim the Democrat is humanity's salvation. Others claim the Republican is the only one who can keep this country on course. And the mass media acknowledges no other parties.

Many of my friends believe one will be better than the other. Perhaps it's due to a stance on the war. Perhaps it has to do with civil rights. The economy. Age. Experience. Wisdom. Hope. My friends, like most of the population, have chosen sides. They are ready to fight for their candidate. The better man must win.

I don't see two different people or two different parties. I see two piles of the same shit. I don't want to step in either, and while I realize one pile may have some slight differences, it all comes from the same source. The status quo will be protected.

Victory will be kind to one of the two candidates. Things may inadvertently get better for the country, but our reckless capitalistic ways will not change. Our moral arrogance will remain firmly in place. We may come out looking better, but you can only put so much make-up on a tumor, and our cancer is at the boiling point.

When I cast my vote, it will be "no confidence." I can't go any other way and still look at myself in the mirror in the morning. I can't vote for anyone who will keep the same lies in place, who will take the same money from the same sources, who will say one thing and cast a vote that goes the other way. I can't and won't. An old anarchist motto is "Only sheep need a leader." I firmly believe that. I'm just shocked that with the way the world is, we have so many people still willing to say, "Baaaa!"

No comments: