31.3.20

Day 12: California Under Martial Law Lite (Bedtime For Democracy)

When I started chronicling the California shelter in place order, I called it "martial law lite" because that was what I was seeing it head toward. Yesterday Humboldt County and Hungary caused my fears to become more solidified. Let's start at the beginning of the day, though . . .

Arcata has this area near a community center that is a playground and a large field where people usually play soccer. The space between the playground and the community center is now dotted with tents of the homeless, and when I went by there, the police were out in full force, though they weren't making them move. I'm not actually sure what they were doing to be honest. It was just an odd sight.

Later in the morning I heard that Hungary's Viktor Orban had successfully suspended democracy, being granted many powers with no elections or votes until this crisis is over. Then, with Humboldt's number of positive cases for Covid-19 reaching 21, our Public Health director tightened her emergency order, banning tourism, group sports, and reclassifying an essential business. Our sheriff stepped in after her and declared an emergency, mainly to get funds and to "prepare" the citizens for what is coming. California martial law lite no longer seems as clever. It seems to be a reality that is fast approaching.

Viktor Orban: As dangerous as Trump, but with a cooler name and accent.
With global strikes threatening capitalism throughout the world, you can bet governments and businesses are fearful, and they have every right to be. Citizens need to be aware of what is happening, too. In Hungary, you can now go to jail for spreading "fake news," though I could find no definition of what defines "fake." And if you think I'm being alarmist, maybe. The alarm should be sounded, however. Giving up freedom for safety has dire consequences. Just look at 9/11 for an example. Life seemed to go back to normal, but all those freedom restrictions stayed in place. You just didn't notice because you were still free to choose Pepsi over Coke.

We've already proven we'll obey without serious questioning. In fact, I think washing your hands and staying home when necessary is essential to stopping this virus, but I don't think we should handing over our rights so easily. What must we prepare for here in Humboldt that we haven't already been doing? That's an honest question, but I fear the answer.

I want to be clear in stating that I don't think we are suspending democracy here in America . . . yet. I feel that the actions taken so far are in line with helping to stop the spread of Covid-19, but the wording is being put in place to allow transgressions against your freedoms to happen, and we must be vigilant against this sort of thing. When the actions no longer fall in line with keeping the virus under control, that's when they should be fought against. As goes California . . .

On an unrelated note, I'm an essential worker and am returning to work tomorrow. I don't know if I'll be able to keep updating this daily. I will update as things become important, and probably over the weekend. I'd love for those in other communities to post in the comments section what is happening in your neck of the woods. We need to remain vigilant during these trying times, and communication is the key.

No comments: