28.11.19

I Have Returned

After four years (!) of not updating this blog, I have returned. Why? In-N-Out Burger. Eureka, CA is finally getting one, and as expected, as if on cue, the community is going apeshit.

The responses, as seen in various social media outlets, range from the person being so excited that they "can't sleep" to those lamenting about what is happening to the locally owned burger joints when such an establishment comes in. For the most part, though, people are really, really excited. It's new! It's going to bring jobs! It's got great burgers! (Having eaten at one once, I can say I was not impressed, but that is, of course, just a matter of taste.)

It is new. It will bring a few jobs. And ... nothing. Nothing else. Picture having the kind of life where you get so excited over a burger place coming to your town that is in several other locations that you can't sleep. You can't sleep. Over a burger barn. A restaurant. A chain restaurant, at that. I can only imagine what would happen if we got an Olive Garden. That person would probably have a heart attack.

There are other responses in the media outlets. Some turn into an attack on Trump, which then causes the Trump puppets to start throwing around terms like "snowflake" and "libtard." Irony, it should be noted, is easily lost on the Trump puppets. It all plays out like this well-scripted show that we've seen a thousand times before. Another same episode of a long-running sitcom that was never all that funny to begin with. This is the state of Humboldt County, California. It would be hilarious if people weren't so damn proud of it.

So, yeah, after four years I'm back filled with anger and sarcasm. Some will say I've become harsher. Some will say I've become softer. Some will have missed me. Some will have wished I stayed gone. I don't care either way. I'm back. You, however, are free to leave.

No comments: