27.12.10

Punishment Junkie

While the East Coast is thrown around by a snowstorm like a drunk teen at a college frat party, I get up after having some very pleasant dreams.

Of course, I waken to a world on the West Coast where rain has become a staple.  Not complaining about that; I like it.  Sometimes, however, I miss the absolute blizzards that shut the world down and make mayors wring their hands in terror.

I had been waking up to headaches on a nearly daily basis for weeks, if not months now, and yesterday I thought I had pinpointed it.  Every time I woke up the first thought that came to mind was, "It's my fucking pillow."

Usually when falling asleep, I put my head down between two pillows.  Don't know why I do this.  Maybe it's because it mimics the warm feeling of a woman's breasts.  Hell, I don't know.  As I was thinking about it yesterday I realized it probably had to do with neck support.  And then I saw this commercial for a Sobakawa Cloud Pillow.

I didn't care about any of the mumbo jumbo being spouted forth on the commercial.  I didn't buy the claims that it was 300 years in the making.  Nor did I believe there over 10 million microbeads in it.  After all, was I going to count that?  Hell no.  What intrigued me was its shape.  It looked exactly like what I was envisioning as being the cure to my morning headaches.  (That and less stress.)

My daughter convinced me to get it, and I tried it out last night.  I had read some negative things online, such as the noise of the microbeads shifting being distracting (I'm a light sleeper, and they did not bother me one bit).  I also read that it gets "hot."  I also did not find that to be true.  What I found was no headache.

It's too early to tell if this was a fluke or a placebo affect.  (Which, according to what I heard on NPR last week, is stronger than we ever suspected.)  All I know is that I woke up without a headache, though it was still Monday and I would like nothing more than to not be doing what I'm doing today.

Though I'm still not too sure I'd want to be on the East Coast.

No comments: